What Should I Carry When Checking Into Rehab
After deciding to enrol for a rehab it is essential to understand the kind of items you will be allowed to bring into the centres along with any private items which the treatment centres will not allow.
What you can carry to rehabilitation is subject to clinics' severe regulations. A recommended packing list is provided by most centres, which also provide you with a list of items that are prohibited.
The admittance procedure usually starts as soon as you get to the rehab. Your clinic's welcome staff will check your bags to guarantee safety and that nothing forbidden is sneaked through. While other centres provide you with the checklist of what you can bring.
You can carry the necessities with yourself. This policy though may differ from one treatment centre to another.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
How To Get The Packing Information
Please make sure to consult your rehab with allowed and prohibited things to bring or you can check on their page online. In case this page is missing, you must check the FAQ page which too can contain packing information. Some centres are known to offer packing checklists, which is printable that you can refer to while packing. Alternatively, you can get in touch directly with the rehab administrators. They will let you know of all the items. You can also receive clarification on other policies or guidance about the admission process.
Recommended Items List For Rehabilitation
The list varies from centre to centre.
These are some of the things that you will find allowed in most rehabs
- The contact details of the people close to the patient.
- Person ornaments that are used by the person.
- Other items can just be left at home.
- A clock with an alarm but not one with radio.
- In other facilities, all necessities are provided and you are required to bring only yourself.
- The medications that the patient will be using.
- It is recommended that all liquid medications be newly purchased and sealed.
- You are also allowed to carry a list of all your medications along with the dosages required.
- Ensure you are some cash with you in small denominations.
- Your check book, credit card and debit card for the payment of treatment medications are also allowed.
- Your insurance cards along with a method of identification [driver's license, passport, etc.].
- Call cards may be required in cases where long distance calls are accessible only through it.
- Your diary.
- If you want to mail letters, carry stamps, postcards, and envelopes with you.
- Photographs of friends or loved ones you hold dear.
- There are some items that you will get inside the rehab.
- If you wish to carry reading materials for yourselves, you must understand that the subjects must only be on the recovery, self-help and spiritually oriented.
- TIP Should you bring books, we recommend you to bring paperbacks as they are more handy than hardbacks.
What Type Of Clothing Is Necessary
It is common for rehabs to have strict dress policy in place and that's why you should check with the centre first. If you are not sure about how to pack for the weather, you should be looking forward to packing layering options like T-shirts, sweaters, cardigans and jackets.
This however does not mean that you should carry your whole closet.
Laundry spaces are accessible in a facility so you can plan your clothes packing based on that amenity. Bring everyday clothes that require no special washing process.
You should carry along about seven days of comfortable and with appropriate clothing, including the following
- Shoes Comfortable shoes for everyday activities, sports and flip flops for the shower.
- Shirts Make sure you bring cardigans that should be worn with tank tops in order to respect the dress code.
- Shorts They have to be long enough to comply with the clinic's dress code.
- A dress or two for any special events like appreciation or family night.
- Fresh and clean pairs of socks.
- A bathing suit; At least one.
- A Jacket/Coat.
- A bathrobe.
- A hat it is possible that the centres may not allow hats indoors.
Beauty And Hygiene Products To Pack
Carrying alcohol free makeup products is what many rehabs advocate for. Some allow alcohol-containing products only when alcohol doesn't feature in the first three ingredients. Aerosols are not allowed
These toiletries and personal products should be enough you to last thirty days especially
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Feminine hygiene products
- Shaving cream
Items Prohibited In Rehabilitation
Certain items are not allowed inside the premises of rehab centres. The prohibited items are not allowed to keep you safe and on the path of recovery The names of items in the prohibited items list vary from facility to facility; however nearly every centre prohibits these
- Alcohol as well as drugs
- Prohibited prescriptions and other narcotics
- Weapons [guns, knives, sharp objects, scissors, etc.].
- Materials with sexual content
- Food and drink
- Personal hygiene and beauty products that have alcohol (mouthwash, colognes, etc.)
- Electronic cigarettes of any form of vape.
- Medications that are not prescribed
- Nail polish and other related products
- Movie DVDs and games
- Sporting apparatus
- Skimpy clothes
- Ammonia, bleach, and other stuff used in cleaning
- Electronic gadgets
- Games and playing cards
- Clothing with vulgarity or reference to drugs, booze or violence
The items mentioned in this list could very well surprise you and lead you to believe that games like playing cards, video games, DVDs and sporting equipment are indeed safe. The centres do not distractions of any form that would make you lose your focus on your road to recovery. However, some of the rehabs could facilitate you to get these equipments on some days.
Outside catering is also prohibited because the food you eat needs to be according to the standards. You will be given three meals per day, snacks, and drinks You will have to inform the centre if you have any special dietary requirements or allergies.
Some Items Are Allowed In Rehab While Others Are Not
Every rehab centre has its own policies and some may prohibit an item which is allowed at the other. You may wonder but some centres allow these items inside the facility
- Computer Equipment
- The laptops and pcs are restricted in some places while allowed in others depending on the rehabs policies.
- Just don't forget to take the charger with you.
- Some centres consider your personal smoking liberty hence they allow you to bring your cigarettes.
- However, you may be restricted in the number of cigarettes you are to take in a day.
- Vitamins and Legal Medicines
- OTC medications should be brand new.
- Chewing gums
- Gums too should be unopened and sealed during admission.
- Music Players
- It is sometimes possible to carry items that don't have an internet connection or speakers.
- For patients who are photography enthusiasts, the are allowed with the privilege to bring their cameras with them.
- Disposable or Electric Shavers or Razors
- Razors are considered as dangerous and some centres are known to prohibit them completely.
- Most of the times, throwaway razors are permitted.
- Nail Clippers
- Clippers are allowed although some centres consider this as a contraband.
- Personalizing Your Room To Make It Feel Homey
- Some centres allow you to bring your own pillows, bedding or curtains to make you feel at ease.
- However, all these items should be allowed first.
Will My Property Be Handed Over If It Was Confiscated Upon Admission
It is possible that by mistake you pack something that is not allowed, but you should not worry in case this happens. You close relative will be advised to go back with these items. Your objects are kept for 24 hours in other centres until someone collects them. Other centres will just keep them for your and return the same once you have cleared the program and leave the centre.
You are likely to travel alone if you are commuting by air and so there won't be anyone to take the prohibited items home. We highly recommend that you consult and clarify with the rehab centre first about their policies and other things of concern. You will wish to have back your forbidden objects packed by error. They can either send them back to your place or keep them safe till the end of the recovery process.
Make Packing For Rehab Simple You are just required to follow the policies of the centres and ask plenty of questions if you are unsure about any items. The process becomes all the more simpler if you logon to the centre's website and save the packing checklist. As a generally suggested idea, pack and travel light and keep it to bare essentials.
Find Support Now
There are a lot of facilities that permits you to personal items to decorate or personalize your space. Our specialists are more than ready to help you find a centre that allows you to do just that.
Call us now on 0800 246 1509 for help in finding a centre.