Drugs And College Students
Common problems on college campuses which are noticed are binge drinking, prescription and recreational drug abuse that is popular.
Among the total drug abusers throughout the country students in college hold the premier position and are one of the largest groups.
Dependence is a plague that affects people that fit into the age range that goes from 18 to 24.
Adjusting to college life can be very stressful and overwhelming to some. For students who do not engage in extracurricular activities or clubs find it easier to socialize through drinking. A good number of pupils falls into dependence of drugs and booze after these become part of a habitual form of enjoying life.
Drugs and booze are easily overused by full-time college students than youngsters who do not study in a campus.
Why College Students Turn To Drug Use
Several things can lead college pupils to fall for drug overuse and these are
- There are many activities in colleges such as internships, exams and social life that can exert some pressure to students causing them to resort to using drugs.
- Course Work
- A large number of students turn to stimulants, like Adderall, so that they can work for longer hours at a stretch to submit assignments on time.
- Most of these substances tend to be found with no proper prescription.
- It is a common habit among college students to explore the new aspects of life both in personal and professional realms.
- They will thus be curious to try out some things such as drugs and alcohol.
- Influence From Others
- Students who are part of a peer group in which many people use recreational drugs are more susceptible to use drugs.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Prevalence Of Diet Pills And Eating Disorders In Campus
Students in colleges are more susceptible to eating disorders than others.
National Institute of Mental Health pegged that 1 in 4 college students suffers eating disorders. A report revealed that the number of both males and females having unhealthy eating behaviours has increased by far in the past twenty years. Desperate to lose weight, a large number of students resort to diet pills to achieve their weight loss goals. Death and other health complications can occur because of this. There is information about the effects that come with the use of these drugs.
Chosen Drugs On College Campuses
Many new drugs are being introduced in the campuses every.
There are few mainstays among the abused substances that are always there throughout the decades. These include
- Alcohol is the most commonly abused substance in college campuses.
- It is not considered illicit especially if you are of age hence regulating or identifying abuse of this substance is often overlooked.
- Adderall also has the nickname of being a "study drug" and this medication along with some other stimulants is increasingly becoming popular with college students who are facing the pressure to meet all their academic requirements.
- In many states, Marijuana is now legal and that's why its use among college students is rising.
- Other states even have campuses tallying increased use of cannabis as opposed to alcohol.
- Ecstasy, which was very popular in the 90s, has started becoming popular in college campuses again in a more concentrated form, called molly or MDMA.
- It is relatively accessible among college students as a party drug, and they are more likely to use this drug as they fall under the target age range for this drug abuse.
- This party pill is increasingly popular among rave parties and concerts.
Alcohol Effects On College Students
A majority of students in the higher institutions use liquor. More and more students find it cool and associate drinking and intoxication to fun college life, earning its ubiquitous attendance in almost all college parties and sports celebrations.
This means that the people in these colleges will end up taking more alcohol compared to their agemates that are not in these institutions.
Survey reveals that a staggering 80% of college students drink alcohol.
According to National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, almost half of the 80% are binging. Unmoderated alcohol drinking is not only detrimental to the drinker but also to other people in terms of troubles and violence it causes. Discover more helpful information about excessive alcohol use and its effects on students and college campuses.
Greek Life And Misuse
The students in the Greek system tend to drink more than those that are not even though they have an environment that hinders them from doing that.
Adderall is one of the drugs that the students in these systems take more.
Getting The Assistance Required For Dependency On Drugs Or Alcohol
If you or someone you know in campus is overtly showing signs of any of the aforementioned abuse, take urgent action to ask for help. You will have support from expert guarantors that our dependence professionals will find for you. Do not delay your contact with us on 0800 246 1509 to understand how you can take your life back from substance abuse or addiction.